Name of the Temple
Sri Nageswarar Temple
Period of origin
Before 2000 years
Name of deity
Moolavar: Nageswarar, Naganathar
Ambal: Periya Nayaki
Sthala Theertham: Maha Magam kulam
Sthala Virksham: Vilwa
Divine serpent Adisesha was bearing the whole weight of earth. As the weight grew due to the sins committed by the wicked, he could not excess weight and felt exhausted. He visited Mount Kailash and begged Lord Shiva to bless him with the adequate energy needed to do his job. Lord promised him the energy to hold the earth with a single head (Adiseaha has 1000 heads). Adiseaha, with the blessings of Lord Shiva came to this part of Kumbakonam where one leaf of Vilwa fell from the nectar pot. He installed a Linga here and worshipped the Lord. As Nagaraja the king of snakes worshipped the Lord here, He is praised as Nageswarar. The place where the Vilwa fell from the nectar pot floating through floods, was called Vilwa Vanam. Lord is also praised as Vilwa Vanesar, Padala Beeja Nathar, Madanthai Bagar and Selva Piran.
The temple was surrounded by bushes. It was the year 1923. A Shiva devotee, Padagacherry Ramalingaswamy collected funds by tying a brass bowl around his neck begging all. He renovated the temple with the funds he thus collected little by little. He also conducted the consecration of the temple. The next consecration took place in 1959 and finally again in 1988. Lord Nageswara is seated on a big Avudayar. He is small in size. Sun God prays to Lord with his rays on Panguni 11, 12 and 13 in March. People pray to Lord Nageswara on Mondays and Thursdays for relief from the adverse aspect of serpent planet Rahu delaying marriage and child boon. Mother Periyanayaki graces the devotees with Her blessing hand-Abhaya Karam. The reputation of the temple is in its Pralayakala Rudra Shrine-Sannidhi. There are also shrines for Mother Vishnu Durga and Sun.
The temple has a five tier Rajagopuram. Entering inside, we find the Nandavanam-flower garden at the left and the Singamukha theertha-sacred spring-at the right. Mother Brugannayaki and Nataraja Sabha are on the right side. The Nataraja Sabha is beautifully designed as a rath-car. The 12 cross wires of the wheel are (joining the wheel and the axis) are said to represent the 12 zodiac signs. The mandap is aesthetically designed in the form of a rath drawn by two horses and 4 elephants. The other noteworthy feature is Mother Sivakami is playing the Tala to the dance of the Lord Nataraja and Lord Vishnu playing the flute feasting the eyes of the devotees.
Temple is about 2 km from kumbakonam bus terminal
6.00 a.m. to 12.30 p.m. and from 4.30 p.m. to 9.00 p.m.
Temple Telephone Number:
+91- 435-243 0386.
Sri Nageswarar Temple,